Remaining part -discourse markers
Readbi english ,readbi
These expressions show
that what is
said follows
logically from
what was said
before.
Some markers
Therefore,as a result
consequently,so,then.
Eg:The tea very hot,
So she can't drink.
Therefore 2x-15=17y+6.
Readbi english ,read
dsc4english
Discourse markers
Discourse markers
.
Remaining parts of
Discourse markers
10.Structuring
These are used to
Show the structure
of what we are
saying.
Eg: first,firstly,second
secondly,finally ,to start
with,for another thing.
Eg: First we need
somewhere to live.second
we need to find work.
11.adding
These expressions
introduce addtional
imformation or
arguments.
Some discourse markers
are given.
Moreover,furthermore
In addition,as well as
What is more, also
besides,in any case.
Eg : He earned fifty
lakhs more over ,he
got two cars in bet.
12.generalising
These expressions say how
far the speaker thinks
generalisation is true.
Some markers:on the whole
in general,all most,by and
large,to a great extent , to some
extent,apart from...;except for.
Eg:On the whole I had a happy
childhood.
2.Apart from the soup ,I thought
the meal was excellent.
13.giving examples
These expressions
introduce particular
examples to illustrate
Some markers
For instance ,
For example
Eg:Some common
minerals,e.g. Led,
Silver.
14.Logical consequence
These expressions show
that what is
said follows
logically from
what was said
before.
Some markers
Therefore,as a result
consequently,so,then.
Eg:The tea very hot,
So she can't drink.
Therefore 2x-15=17y+6.
Readbi english ,read
dsc4english
Discourse markers
Discourse markers
.
15.making things
Clear;giving details:
I mean ; actually; that
is to say;,in other words.
We use "mean"when we
make things clearer or
give more details.
Eg:It was terrible evening
.I mean ,they all sat round
and talked politics.
16.Softening & correcting
Some discourse markers
I think,I feel,I reckon
apparently,so to speak
more or less,well,really
that is to say ,I suppose
rather,actually,I mean.
Eg:I think you ought try again.
17.gaining time:
Discourse markers:
Let me see,let' see
Well; you know,I mean
Eg:/How is the cost of dal?
Well,let me see.
18.showing one's
attitude to what
one is saying:
honestly, frankly
no doubt.
Eg:Honestly,John,why
do you have to be so
rude?
Read, readbi
19.persuading
Discourse markers
after all,look,look here.
Eg:Look here!what are
doing with my bag.
20.referring to other
person's expectations
Discourse markers;
actually,in fact ,
as matter of fact ,well.
Clear;giving details:
I mean ; actually; that
is to say;,in other words.
We use "mean"when we
make things clearer or
give more details.
Eg:It was terrible evening
.I mean ,they all sat round
and talked politics.
16.Softening & correcting
Some discourse markers
I think,I feel,I reckon
apparently,so to speak
more or less,well,really
that is to say ,I suppose
rather,actually,I mean.
Eg:I think you ought try again.
17.gaining time:
Discourse markers:
Let me see,let' see
Well; you know,I mean
Eg:/How is the cost of dal?
Well,let me see.
18.showing one's
attitude to what
one is saying:
honestly, frankly
no doubt.
Eg:Honestly,John,why
do you have to be so
rude?
Read, readbi
19.persuading
Discourse markers
after all,look,look here.
Eg:Look here!what are
doing with my bag.
20.referring to other
person's expectations
Discourse markers;
actually,in fact ,
as matter of fact ,well.
కామెంట్లు