Readbi english-collocations.
Readbi english.dsc4 english.
Collocations
Collocations mean
Conventional word
Combinations.
We can say "I fully
understand" .
but not fully like,
I rather like,but not
I rather understand.
I firmly think,but not
I firmly think .
Somebody can be a
heavy smoker or a
devoted smoker or a
heavy friend.
Expressions these are
also idiomatic ,In a
sense ,they are easy to
understand ,but not so
easy for a learner to
produce correctly .One
can think of many
adjectives that might be
used a with smoker to
say that somebody smokes
a lot .
For example "big,strong,hard
fierce,mad,devoted.It just
happens that English
speakers have chosen to
use heavy ,and one has
to know this in order
to express the idea
naturally and correctly.
These conventional
combinations of words
are called "Collocations".
All languages have large
number of them.
Some more examples.
a crashing bore(not crashing
nuisance).
a burning desire(not blazing
desire).
a blazing row(not burning
row)
highly reliable(not highly old)
a golden opportunity
(not golden chance).
Change one's mind(not change
one's thought).
Thanks a lot(not Thank you a lot).
Readbi english readbi english
read
Collocations
Collocations mean
Conventional word
Combinations.
We can say "I fully
understand" .
but not fully like,
I rather like,but not
I rather understand.
I firmly think,but not
I firmly think .
Somebody can be a
heavy smoker or a
devoted smoker or a
heavy friend.
Expressions these are
also idiomatic ,In a
sense ,they are easy to
understand ,but not so
easy for a learner to
produce correctly .One
can think of many
adjectives that might be
used a with smoker to
say that somebody smokes
a lot .
For example "big,strong,hard
fierce,mad,devoted.It just
happens that English
speakers have chosen to
use heavy ,and one has
to know this in order
to express the idea
naturally and correctly.
These conventional
combinations of words
are called "Collocations".
All languages have large
number of them.
Some more examples.
a crashing bore(not crashing
nuisance).
a burning desire(not blazing
desire).
a blazing row(not burning
row)
highly reliable(not highly old)
a golden opportunity
(not golden chance).
Change one's mind(not change
one's thought).
Thanks a lot(not Thank you a lot).
Readbi english readbi english
read
కామెంట్లు
.