Readbi-Ellipsis
Readbi english ,readbi
Ellipsis
Introduction :We often
leave out words to avoid
repetition ,or in other
cases when the meaning
can be understood without
them. This is called
"Ellipsis".
1.Replies: In replies we
usually avoid repeating
information that has
just been given.
Eg:who said that?
andJohn(more natural
than John said
that)
2.Structures with
and,but and or
Repeating words are
dropped in co-or-
donate sentences.
Eg:a knife and a fork.
(Not a knife and a fork).
She was poor but
honest.(not .... but
she was honest).
3.At the end of noun phrase
It is sometimes possible
to drop nouns after
adjectives ,noun modifiers
and or determiners.
Eg:Do you want long
bench?
No,short(no I'll have
short bench)
4.Infinitives:we can
use "to" instead
of repeating a
while infinitive.
Eg: Have a good time?
I'll try.(I'll
try to have a
good time)
Readbi english readbi
readbi english.
I
Ellipsis
Introduction :We often
leave out words to avoid
repetition ,or in other
cases when the meaning
can be understood without
them. This is called
"Ellipsis".
1.Replies: In replies we
usually avoid repeating
information that has
just been given.
Eg:who said that?
andJohn(more natural
than John said
that)
2.Structures with
and,but and or
Repeating words are
dropped in co-or-
donate sentences.
Eg:a knife and a fork.
(Not a knife and a fork).
She was poor but
honest.(not .... but
she was honest).
3.At the end of noun phrase
It is sometimes possible
to drop nouns after
adjectives ,noun modifiers
and or determiners.
Eg:Do you want long
bench?
No,short(no I'll have
short bench)
4.Infinitives:we can
use "to" instead
of repeating a
while infinitive.
Eg: Have a good time?
I'll try.(I'll
try to have a
good time)
Readbi english readbi
readbi english.
I
కామెంట్లు